Ysgol Mynydd Isa comprises of two sites. An infants Site (formally Wats Dyke Infants) located at Wats Dyke Avenue and a junior site (formally Ysgol y Bryn) located at Chambers Lane, Bryn-y-Baal.
|Infants Site:||Wats Dyke Avenue, Mynydd Isa, Flinthsire. CH7 6UL|
|Junior Site||Chambers Lane, Bryn-y-Baal, Flintshire. CH7 6SJ|
|Google Maps: Infants||http://goo.gl/maps/balfW|
|Google Maps: Junors||http://goo.gl/maps/r4n70|
Ysgol Mynydd Isa has a long proud history having originated in a tiny lean-to built in the late 1800’s on the rear of the now demolished Calvanistic Methodist Chapel on Mold Road, Mynydd Isa just up from Chapel Street.
In 1906, Flintshire County Council built a new primary school in Bryn-y-Baal. The original building on this site survives today much expanded and changing its name over the years – It became Mynydd Isa Junior School when a separate infants school as Mynydd Isa expanded in the early 1970’s. For many years the sign outside the school proclaimed ‘Flintshire County Council Mynydd Isa Primary School’ despite Flintshire becoming part of Clwyd and it was well into the ‘reign’ of the new Flintshire Council before it was replaced (and preserved by the school).
In 2011 the infants school was combined with the junior school and once again became a single school, now known as Ysgol Mynydd Isa.
|Miss Owen (on loan from Mold Council School)||April 1906 – May 1906|
|Miss Anne Davies||May 1906 – Oct 1909|
|Miss Myfanwy Llwyd-Jones||Oct 1909 – July 1910|
|Miss Rachel Brindle (Acting)||11 -> 15 July 1910|
|Miss Sarah Ann Jones||15 July 1910 – July 1919|
|Mr Freddy Williams||August 1919 – December 1951|
|Mr Cyril Hewitt||Jan 1952 – April 1958|
|Mr J.E. Hewitt||May 1958 – July 1958|
|Mr Joseph Holdsworth||Sept 1958 – June 1969|
|Mr Kenneth Darlington||June 1969 – July 1988|
|Mr Goronwy Morris||Sept 1988 – March 1996|
|Mr Jeremy Griffiths (Acting)||April 1996 – July 1996|
|Mrs Janice Dickens||Sept 1996 – April 2003|
|Mr Richard Collett||April 2003 – to date|
WATS DYKE INFANTS SCHOOL – Wats Dyke Avune, Mynydd Isa 1973 – 2011
With the expansion of Mynydd Isa during the 1960’s and early 1970’s, Flintshire County Council, opened in 1973, a new infant school off Wat’s Dyke Avenue in Mynydd Isa. The first headteacher was Mrs Kath Jones who was superceded by Mrs Margaret Pritchard in September 1983. Mrs Pritchard retired in July 1997. In September 1997, Mrs Marion Hughes – the Deputy Headteacher – became the last headteacher at Wat’s Dyke Infants. Mrs Hughes retired in July 2010 After that the Junior and Infants recombined to become Ysgol Mynydd Isa with one head teacher and a deputy for each school.
Past Head Teachers
|Mrs Kath Jones||1973 – 1983|
|Mrs Margaret Pritchard||1983 – 1997|
|Mrs Marion Hughes||1997 – 2010|